Situated less than 30 miles from Washington State’s largest urban centers, the Snoqualmie and Snohomish Valleys have historically been an important part of the farm basket of the greater Seattle area. For a time, it looked as if this way of life might disappear to development sprawl and consolidated farms shipping food from thousands of miles away. However, in the past few decades a dedicated core of families have built and developed farms in our local valleys, rejuvenating an economy based on local food and farm products. The seeds of our organization were sown as these individuals quickly learned that collaboration and community were keys to farming success.
For over 10 years SnoValley Tilth has served a key networking role among local farmers and we act as a bridge between our valley’s farmers, the local community, and the surrounding metropolitan areas. It has been our delight over the past decade to see an increase in small, family farmers with a dedication to leaving the land even better than they found it. To continue this trend, our program priorities for 2016 include:
- Manage and expand the Experience Farming Project which supports and mentors new farmers on donated farmland.
- Operate the Carnation Farmers Market, the only farmers market in the greater Seattle area other than the Pike Place Market that has a (beautiful!) permanent market structure.
- Continue hosting our popular monthly potluck meetings in a historic barn or as a part of local farm tours, educating farmers and community members on current issues relevant to small scale farming.
- Support farm-to-school connections by assisting local farms to achieve GAP certification.
- Support our new Livestock Committee in developing a sense of community among livestock farmers and in exploring options for bringing USDA approved slaughter facilities to the valley.
- Engage in policy decisions that allow farmers to continue their operations on prime valley farmland.
Executive Director: Melissa Borsting firstname.lastname@example.org
Carnation Farmers Market Manager: Lindsay Nessel email@example.com
Experience Farming Project Farm Manager: Sean Stratman firstname.lastname@example.org
Institutional Markets Coordinator (GAP certification and Farm to School): Sam Bowhay email@example.com
Administrative Assistant: Libby Reed firstname.lastname@example.org
Program Assistant: Leah Litwak email@example.com